Any living room is barren without upholstered furniture. Upholstered furniture provides seating and comfort in the area and makes it suitable to receive guests and bond with family members. To protect your couches and luxury seats, here are some tips from Kennedy Carpet on the proper cleaning and care of upholstered furniture:
First Things First
- Take note of your furniture’s fabric and read the appropriate care instructions from the manufacturer. This tag is usually found in one of the cushions. Reading the instructions will allow you to anticipate what you should and shouldn’t do when it comes to caring for your investment.
- Place your furniture at least 50 cm away from your air-conditioner or radiant heat source. The moisture from air-conditioning units will affect your furniture and the heat will wear it down faster. The heat will also crack leather. Avoid putting your upholstered furniture in direct sunlight.
- Place scuff guards on the legs of your furniture to protect your flooring.
- Use a soft brush attachment on your vacuum in order to clean the upholstery.
- Take note of parts like buttons which may clog the vacuum cleaner.
- Get a crevice tool for the hard to reach parts like the inseam of your furniture.
- Vacuum your furniture weekly or monthly.
- In case of spills, blot them instead of wiping. Wiping will spread the stain more and the abrasive action can damage the fabric. Blotting is enough to address spills on leather or fabric upholstery.
- Take note of the care tag and follow instructions on what kinds of cleaning agents work best with the material of your upholstered furniture.
- Plump the cushions and turn them daily.
- Try favoring different spots on the sofa instead of nursing one spot as your favorite. This will even out the wear on the furniture.
- When moving the furniture, it is always better to lift and carry it instead of just pulling or pushing it. Lifting will protect its frame more than dragging it.
- Don’t leave your newspaper on your furniture for an extended period because the ink will stain it.
- Be mindful of sharp objects like scissors or keys and keep them away from your furniture as much as possible.
- Treat yourself and get your furniture professionally cleaned at least once a year.
Please think of Kennedy Carpet when it comes to the optimal care and repair of your upholstered furniture. Our company can also restore carpets and store them. We also have available services for more serious home repair concerns. You can get in touch with us through our contact form or at our 888-536-6339 number. Our friendly staff can help and advise you for any upholstery, carpet, and restoration need.